09 June 2009

The Neighbors are Jealous.

There’s a new car in my driveway this afternoon, and it’s a very different car; it’s a Volkswagen Routan SEL. Certainly, it is the first one in our little suburban town. (My husband tells me “No,” he doesn’t think it is; he has seen a white Routan around lately. Hmpff.) I am thrilled. The marketing materials bill it “A Stylish Alternative to the Minivan.” It IS pretty cool. I have never driven a “new” car; all of my cars have been “previously owned.” I am anxious to get my hands on the keys.

My girlfriends from the neighborhood come right over for a look – they yell inside my house for Dan to bring out the keys…they want to get inside. Another neighbor leans over the fence for a peek. Others crane their necks as they walk their dogs past our house and I press the button that opens the sunroof.


My friends are funny; there are a lot of ‘oohs’ and ‘ahhs’ as Dan demonstrates all the fancy features. (This baby has ALL the bells and whistles!) Automatic open sliding doors, automatic power trunk lift gate, dual DVD players, satellite radio and, of course, the third seat automatically folding into the floor and back out again over and over…That really is a work of genius. And I haven’t even gotten to the part yet that caused one friend to actually speak the words, “I am so jealous.” Rear windows that roll down. Yes, for those of us who are regularly driving 2000 and 2001 minivans with kids and dogs packed into the back, this is the single most enviable feature. Not the 4.0L V6, 253 horsepower engine or the safety features that are among the best in its class. Wow! But no, it’s not that. It’s the windows. Rear windows that roll down.

This summer, I’ll be cruisin’ in this sweet ride. Can’t wait to fill you in on all our adventures!

NOTE: I know you’re going to ask, because it’s the first question I would ask. It’s the first question anyone asks when they learn you’re driving a new car…. It’s black. With gray leather interior.


-Meg

2 comments:

  1. Well, I have to admit, after years of making fun of you guys for driving minivans, this is definitely a nice step upwards. Not only is it new (I can easily see why you'd be pysched about that) but it definitely stretches the minivan stereotype. Sounds like you'll be enjoying the rear windows but make sure you give those 253 horses some love, too (I can help with that if you need me to).

    - Eric

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that is a car that is hard not to notice! I bet you guys get a whole lot of stares from passers-by! How awesome is that! It's like the girls are rock stars riding in their private limo.
    Funny, the girls are big enough to push open doors, but now you have automatic ones. And you'll have Belle riding down the road with her head sticking out of the back windows calling even more attention to you. But, then again, that is the point, right?
    Enjoy your new ride. It sounds terrific!

    ReplyDelete