23 August 2009

Checking It Out

They say that if you want something done, ask a busy person. By way of explaining how busy I am, suffice it to say that people keep asking me to do things.

It seems that several (most) evenings each week, I am off to a board meeting or committee meeting of one organization or another. When these meetings adjourn, carryover conversation often flows out into the parking lot as we all walk out to stretch our legs, gulp in some fresh air, and make our way to our cars.

We might get within ten yards of the Routan when there will be a break in the conversation and someone will pipe up, “So what’s the deal with the new car?” (The big blog stickers plastered on the car are not exactly inconspicuous.)

“You want to check it out?” (I know they do.) I move toward the car and proceed to click a few buttons on my key fob and the side doors roll open, the lift gate pops up, the engine turns over. I spend some time talking enthusiastically (but that’s just how I talk!) and showing off all the bells and whistles, then close the doors to better show off Volkswagen’s neat interior illumination.

Though it is a frequent comment in the presence of the Routan, there was one night recently when I actually wished afterwards that I had counted how many times one of my friends said, “That’s cool.” It easily numbered more than a dozen times.

As we’re talking (and gawking), the number of people moving around all sides of the vehicle, poking their heads in and out, makes me feel a bit like I’m the lead member of a pit crew sometimes. I feel like instead of pointing out the neat VW logo inside the headlamps, I should be demonstrating how fast I can change the tires (which is pretty respectably I think – thanks Dad!)

And then, when I finish my little show, we wrap up our conversations, and everyone is finally heading home, someone always asks, “So are we going to be in your blog now?”

Sure you are.

HI GUYS!

No comments:

Post a Comment